Wednesday, 24 August 2016

6 Tips on Winning at Anything from a 3 x British BodyBuilding Champion

Success leaves clues as I am sure you have heard many times before. So today I am going to share 6 tips on becoming a winner from former 3 times UKBFF Champion, John Hodgson.

John also became a IFBB Pro competing and winning all over the world. He is also one of the very few British bodybuilders to have competed at the prestigious and ultimate event, Mr Olympia

I have had the privilege and honour of knowing John for over 27 years. We both started the same training course to sell timeshare way back in October 1989. I can still remember him coming to work with bags of potatoes that he would eat in one sitting as he began his journey to winning.

He is one of the most genuine people I know. There is no pretense with John and I really admire that.
John hodgson, IFBB pro, British body building campion
Belief and hard work
John in 89 and last show, 2011

Keeping it Simple


One of the main things I like about John and his training and mentoring methods are they are very similar to what I believe and how I coach; he keeps things simple. 

John is often posting on his Facebook wall about how other people in the bodybuilding world are trying to complicate things, usually, by the people who have not achieved anything. He pulls no punches with his thoughts on that either.

(I have found the same to be true in the personal coaching and mentoring world too)

He also tells you how it is and is therefore very direct. I have often said to him, which we laugh about, that his tagline for his website should read, 

It's John Hodgson - FFS


So there are no airs, no graces but just the truth about what will make others a success within the sport. Of course, like all outstanding coaches and mentors, he is there to encourage and push you beyond your limits. 

Anyway these success strategies which are in John's own words, can be applied to anything that you want to achieve too.

In typical John Hodgson style, they are short, succinct and to the point. I stole these from his facebook post, with permission of course.

1. Trust in yourself


Believe to Achieve (The title of my DVD and my mantra I stand by)

2. Break the rules

You got to know what it is what you truly want, even if it's against conventional thinking. Don't follow the sheeple society mentality. 

3. Don't be afraid to fail


I didn't win all my shows. It made me more determined to come back better!!

4. Ignore the Naysayers 


My friends questioned why I wanted to be a Bodybuilder and said I was wasting my time. Stand true to your desires.

5. Work like hell


I wasn't gifted despite what people think. I worked real hard in the gym and was so meticulous with my food, those who truly know me will attest to this. 

6. Give something back (Just tell the truth)


I have advised many people over my career on general fitness to Bodybuilding, wrote articles/interviews in magazines and always told it as I see it.

So if I can do it, so can YOU. It's just a case of desire and do you really WANT it?!!

So there you have it. Winning at anything is not a complicated process. And don't let anyone try and convince you otherwise just to get more cash from you or make them look good or important.

I always laugh a lot with John when we meet up. Here is a picture of us both on holiday in Australia a couple of years ago. 
robert D hamilton, John Hodgson IFBB Pro, Champion
In case you don't know, John is on the right!!


Connect with John on Facebook 

If you want coaching from one of the very best or to learn more about John Hodgson you can do here.